The Kress' building is one of the more grand examples of Classic Revival architecture in Guthrie today. Constructed of yellow brick supported by iron posts, its two stories measure 50' by 135' and feature stone and brick pilasters and a stone dental entablature.
The West half of the building was erected in 1910 and gutted by a fire in 1914. Following the fire, the East portion of the building was constructed and the West half reconstructed, using the original walls and foundations. The building store front was extensively remodeled in 1939; new windows, flat-plate glass, transom windows, doors, and awnings were added, replacing almost everything but the original curved glass display windows.
The S. H. Kress and Company notions store operated in this building from its original opening until February 1979. The building has been remodeled for retail use on the bottom floor and offices on the upper floor using some of the original lights and the pressed tin ceiling. Source: Office of Archeology and Historic Preservation
Early drawing of the Kress' building Photo taken around 1908, looking East on
Oklahoma Avenue near intersection with
Back of building taken from Division Street looking Northeast.
Above photos purchased from:
111 South Division